Jan 14, 2013

Van Sarki Unmasks Burlesque Photo Project

One of my recent photo shoot was with Van Sarki who is a regular contributor for Interview Magazine. Burlesque performers get approached all the time to do photo projects. I rarely participate because I keep getting the same proposal. "Burlesque performer at home," "Burlesque performers backstage getting ready" (I don't ever want to see another photo of myself putting on lipstick in the mirror or pulling on stockings!), or "Burlesque performer in day time lighting". So on and so forth. But when Sarki approached me and showed me his work, there was something different about his approach. Maybe it's his background in fashion photography (versus "boudoir" and "pin-up") or that he actually has a thesis about his work (which you can read about here). So I sat for him. I chose my fetish nun look (custom design by latex designer Klawtex) that day because that's what I was feeling even though most of my acts are classic or Old Shanghai-inspired. It's fun to see what kind of look everyone else chose to represent their "other" selves. Check out Interview Magazine's 4 photos from his series today featuring Scotty the Blue Bunny, Darlinda Just Darlinda, myself, and someone I don't recognize.

And if you like it, you can also contribute to his Kickstarter campaign to get these prints printed in a book format.



Photo by Van Sarki

1 comment:

  1. In his Kickstarter video, Van Sarki's quotes Oscar Wilde about a mask revealing more of the truth. I just finished reading The Face of Another by Kobo Abe, a relentless study in identity, physical, psychic and social, in which a faceless man painstakingly constructs a perfect mask. Abe through a novel explores aspects that Van Sarki's shoots to reveal with photography. I'm glad I'll be able to help support his project.

    ReplyDelete